Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day 5: Give a tip for assessment

"Give a tip for assessment. What is an example of an assessment you give? Share any tips for designing/ giving / grading assessments."

I think this is a tricky one for music teachers and yet it should be so simple.  Our field is very 'performance based' so our assessments should reflect this.  In all the variety of classes I teach I try to post objectives from week to week. (The keyword is try.  If I can't post objectives I at least try to say them at the beginning of the lesson.)  It is important to note the difference between goals and objectives.  In working with student teachers this becomes something that I try to address with them. A goal is a place to get to in the lesson.  (In the song "Whisper!" we will work on measures 24-50.) An objective is something that can be assessed - either formally or informally. (Students will use sight singing strategies when learning the new song "Whisper!") 

So, what is a tip for designing/giving/ grading assessments?  My tip would be to clearly state the objective and think about what it would look (or sound) like if students are meeting that objective. If my objective is 'Students will sing with good posture, proper breath and in a head voice' I will walk around the room while the students sing to check if they are meeting this objective marking on my grading sheet who has met all three, who needs reminding and who just doesn't have it.  Students who don't understand will get more attention from me while the rest of the class is performing the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment